Sunday, October 9, 2011

NEWSFLASH: "You Become What You Think About"

Earl Nightingale

Do you know who thiss man is?  His name is Earl Nightingale.  He was on the USS Arizona as a Marine on December 7, 1941...and survived.  He went on to become a radio announcer in the 1950's and is thought of by many to be the father of the self-improvement industry. He is also credited with the phrase "You become what you think about most of the time" from his collection of audio recordings on success. He didn't make it up.  youi can find this in the New Testament, in the works of Emerson and Benjamin Franklin and I'm sure in several other sources throughout history.

Here's a good question:  What if it's true?  So what do you think about most of the time?  Are you bringing yourself success or are you in your own way?

Once upon a time I used to drink heavily.  One day, I was drinking at home alone (a huge red flag) wondering why my business efforts were not bringing the rewards I was "dedicated" to achieving.  Poor people or people who thought poorly (the same thing) all told me that God didn't want me to be successful or that it wqasn't my time or that I was destined to be poor.  Then, one day, I decided to track my time and my money.  I discovered that around 120% of my disposable income was going to alcohol and cigarettes.  I was also spending about 4-5 hours a day drinking...that's a part-time job.  To my chagrin, after I conmmitted myself to not drinking anymore, I realized just how much time I dedicated to drinking.  After about a year and a half, I realized how much time I spent smoking.  After that, I decided to stop smoking...I also decided I wanted to live a long and fruitful life. Since then, I have seen dramatic improvements in my life, my results and in the process identified one of the principles of success I was just not getting.

To end this story, I discovered that what I really do become what I think about most of the time.  This is the negative viewpoint of this fundamental truth. If you are focusing on poverty and thinking about poverty, you will have more of it.  If you are thinking about wealth, you are at least a little closer than you were. 

No comments:

Post a Comment